Monday, December 3, 2012

What's a "whimsical craftsman"?

It's not often that I get a client that tells me they want a "whimsical craftsman" style house.
I immediately thought, this could be a fun family to work with.

Honestly, I've designed a lot of craftsman style houses.
The typical details come to mind, exposed beams, wood brackets, tapered columns with stone base, and exposed wood trusses in the gables. But these guys wanted some of those details but then they threw something at me that was a new one for me. A stair tower.
I've designed stair towers and spiral staircases before but I've never been asked to incorporate one into a craftsman style house.

Another great design idea that this client had was to incorporate "barn style" doors in the interior.
This house will include two sets of barn style doors that will separate breakfast room - kitchen and kitchen - great room. We'll also include these type of doors to enclose the recessed flat screen when it's not in use.

I'll post more drawings and photos as we progress.



copyright Joshua Wright Design 2012



copyright Joshua Wright Design 2012

copyright Joshua Wright Design 2012




No comments:

Post a Comment